We provide assessment, management and advice to adults and/or their carers regarding speech, language, fluency, voice and communication disorders as well as eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties.
Once a referral is accepted an appointment is made for full assessment by a Speech and Language Therapist as soon as possible. Following assessment your Speech and Language Therapist will advise on the best course of management. This may include:
- A course of therapy (individual/group)
- Advice and recommendations
- Further assessments which may include:
- Videofluoroscopy (x-ray of the swallow), FEES (fibreoptic endoscopic evaluation of the swallow)
- Liaison with other services
- Training for carers/other professionals/ nursing home staff
- Regular reviews
- Advice on strategies to help.
We are also committed to the training of student Speech and Language Therapists and offer regular placements.
Who do we see?
We provide a service to adults, within the East Cheshire NHS Trust who may have:
- Neurological impairment – such as Parkinson’s Disease, Motor Neurone Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Huntington’s Disease.
- Swallowing disorders associated with Dementia
- Cancer of the head, neck, throat
- Voice disorders
- COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Critical Care including tracheostomy
How to refer:
The Speech and Language Therapy service will only accept referrals made on the new electronic referral form, sent to the service by e-mail.
Referrals received by telephone, fax, hard-copy letter, or e-mails not on our bespoke pro-forma will not be accepted; inappropriate referrals will be returned to you to be resent which will delay the treatment of your patient.
We encourage you to also attach any clinic letters or relevant additional information alongside the pro-forma to assist in our triage of your patient.
Click here to download the new electronic inpatient referral form.
Click here to download the new electronic community referral form.
Where do we work?
East Cheshire NHS Trust covers a large geographical area spanning from Macclesfield to Congleton, Knutsford, Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, Handforth and Disley.
We provide an inpatient service on the wards at the Macclesfield District General Hospital. We also have out patient clinics and visit people at home, residential/nursing homes, East Cheshire Hospice and the community hospital at Congleton.
We are based at Macclesfield District General Hospital, on the ground floor next to Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy.
How to contact us
Adult Speech and Language Therapy team
Macclesfield District General Hospital
01625 661885 (community team)
01625 661875 (community team bookings)
01625 661067 (inpatients and voice)