Chronic Pain is very complex affecting every aspect of your life.
The aim of our service is to help you to manage your pain better. Things that we can help you with to allow this to happen could be:
- Ensuring a better understanding of your pain
- Helping you to move in a more normal manner and to have an appropriate level of activity
- Helping you to manage the anxiety and depression that often accompanies pain and can exacerbate it
- Ensuring that you are on appropriate medication where the benefits outweigh the side effects
The Chronic Pain Management Service is based at Sanders Square in Macclesfield.
Most patients require a combination of approaches tailored to their individual pain problem. In order to achieve this you may work with a team of professionals who specialise in Pain Management.
Our team includes:
Clinical Nurse Specialist
consultation will include discussions about your pain history, investigations, diagnosis, sleep pattern, mood, medications and other treatments.
will assess the effect of your pain on your movement, posture and general life which may result in advice on exercises and activity management.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapist (CBT)
will assess how your thoughts, feelings and behaviours impact on your pain.
will review your past and current treatment after which they may give advice and suggest an ongoing management plan.
Before attending the clinic
We will ask you to complete a questionnaire prior to your first visit. This will include questions about anxiety and depression. This information is invaluable please remember to bring it with you to your first appointment.
Your first consultation
Your first consultation will be with the Specialist Pain Nurse for a triage appointment, typically lasting 30-40 minutes. You may find it hard to describe your pain and the effect it has on your life, but this will enable the Specialist Pain Team to plan the appropriate treatment for you.
At this and all appointments within the service your views will be listened to. You will be involved in decisions made about your care such as which member of the team you would benefit most from seeing next and the plan from there on.
A report will be then sent to you and a copy to your GP explaining the plan.
The service offers a 10-week Pain Management Programme (PMP), a 6-week exercise and pain education group and a CBT led Mindfulness course. You will be assessed for suitability for these group programmes and invited to information sessions.
If you would like to find out more about PMPs before coming to your appointment you could go to the British Pain Society website (www.britishpainsociety.org) and seek out their patient information leaflet.
We look forward to helping you manage your pain and get your life back on track.
Further Information & Support can be found at:
Phone: 0300 123 0789
Phone: 0845 6031593
The Chronic Pain Management service provides:
- Holistic multi-disciplinary approach to chronic pain management.
- Developing the patient as the expert is the long-term strategy which will enable patients to self-manage their pain utilizing a pain plan.
- Clinicians with expert knowledge in pain control management
- Effective use of skill mix to maximize skills base within the service
- Contributes to 18 week wait targets
- Contributes to hospital avoidance target.
Our aim is to optimize patients overall management, function and capacity of chronic pain, using the evidence based bio-psychosocial chronic pain model in line with the national chronic pain guidelines.
- Provide a multi-disciplinary approach in the effective management of chronic pain.
- Empower patients to self-manage their condition.
- Optimize use of medication and where appropriate reduce this.
- Reduce the patients experience of pain including physical, psychological and behavioral components.
- Optimize the patients function.
- Admin Office hours are 8:00am – 4:00pm on Wednesday, Thursday and 8:00am – 2:30pm on Friday
- Clinics run on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
Calls outside these times will be forwarded to voicemail.
Sanders Square Clinic
Telephone: 01625 663 502