The goal of palliative care is to promote quality of life for people living with life limiting illnesses.
The Specialist Palliative Care Team is made up of health professionals who provide support and advice to individuals affected by cancer or other progressive life limiting conditions and their carers. We work alongside other health and social care providers such as GP’s, hospital ward teams, community nurses, social workers and other therapists.
How we can help?
- Advice on the management of pain and other symptoms.
- Psychological and emotional support for individuals and their carers.
- An opportunity to discuss your care and what is important to you
- Support with planning future care
- To link with other services that can provide you with care, advice and equipment if needed.
- To provide information on financial help.
The trust has a single Macmillan Specialist Palliative Care Team that provides care for patients both within the hospital setting and in the community. We are able to provide care, as appropriate, for all hospital inpatients but community patients must be registered with an East Cheshire GP Practice.
Where are we based?
The team is based at Macclesfield District General Hospital, although we work across the hospital site and the community. We visit patients within their own homes, within clinic settings, and on hospital wards whilst patients are in hospital.
How to refer?
Referrals may be made by patients, carers, healthcare and other allied professions by contacting the team secretary on the telephone number below.
Hours of working
Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm (excludes bank holidays).
Macmillan Specialist Palliative Care Team
East Cheshire NHS Trust
Macclesfield District General Hospital
Answer machine available for messages to be left outside working hours.
24 hour palliative care advice can be accessed via East Cheshire Hospice 24 hour advice line on 01625 666999
The members of the team are as follows:
- Dr Leslie Allsopp, Macmillan Consultant in Palliative Medicine
- Dr Kathryn Gaunt, Macmillan Consultant in Palliative Medicine
- Karen Clayton, Macmillan Lung Cancer Lead Nurse/Team leader Specialist Palliative Care
- Lauren McIntyre, Macmillan Emergency/Palliative Care Nurse
- Clare Chasty, Macmillan Palliative Care Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Lisa Hardstaff, Macmillan Palliative Care Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Hayley Butler, Macmillan Palliative Care Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Barbara Townley, Macmillan Palliative Care Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Michael Devaney, Macmillan Palliative Care Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Andrea Byatte, Macmillan Lung Cancer Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Natalie Barnett, Macmillan Lung Cancer Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Emma Connor, Macmillan Lung Cancer Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Christine Symes, End of Life Facilitator/Educator
- Helen Burns, Macmillan Team Secretary